Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sundays are for Worship...

Most Christians do it Sunday. Most Jews do it Saturday.

What day do you do it? Do you even do it? Do you worship?

LOLOL I can just imagine the stonemasons
face when he was told what he was going
to carve!

I worship many things, at least as far as worship can be defined as the reverent attention or regard of something.



Humanity, nature, men, women, my husband if the mood is right...all are things I worship and revere.

Worship comes in many flavors and sizes. If you have been paying attention to the blog over time, it will come as no surprise for me to state I am not a religious person. This doesn't mean I do not hold some things in reverence. I just do it my own way :)

I made a conscious decision last October that I was going to recapture the parts of my spirituality that I had abandoned. I had become a little calloused towards honest heart-felt spirituality and I realized this had stopped some parts of my growth as a human being.

So, three things I have brought back into my life lately - important enough that I wish to share them...

Spending time in nature, preferably unclothed,
is as close as I can come to truly feeling
at one with the world around me.
I can spend long hours doing nothing but contemplate trees.
Listening to nature as it lives and moves around you,
trying to see with your hands and ears,
feeling the breeze lick your face.
Touching or holding another human, and not in a sexual way,
can be an incredibly profound spiritual experience.
recently my husband described for me how safe he felt
when another man half snuggled and napped with
him on a couch during a break this past weekend.
Non-sexual touch is something I missed painfully
without recognizing the source of the pain.
 
Meditation - a practice I turned away from in favor of a busy life 20
years ago, is once again becoming a part of my daily experiences.

There was a time in my life where I could mediate for upwards of
45 minutes at a time. Not long by the standard of monks,
but for me, at that time, it was huge.
Today, as I reteach myself this skill I am finding it
difficult to meditate for more than 10 minutes at a time.
To me this says I definitely need more practice.




If you don't worship anything, and I don't mean religion, ask yourself why not?
Atheism isn't an excuse - I know many atheists who revere things - science, nature, freedom of thought.
Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. oh, there is suppose to be one day to do it? Opps. And I know what you mean on the nature thing, it is a great feeling, to be in nature, unclothed. It is very freeing. Took me awhile to get use to it, but then it was very relaxing. great post.

    ReplyDelete